Thursday, December 3, 2015

A Day in the Life

I just got on my first bus, it's 7:28am. It's pretty darn cold outside, maybe 40 something Fahrenheit. I'm on the bus to Hashimoto station, two train stations away from our home near Minami Osawa. Then from there I'll take a train to Hachiojiminamino station, then another bus to the school. It's about an hour commute.
Right now I'm listening to Spotify. If I weren't blogging I would be looking at Pinterest or staying out the window. The buses are heated so I can take off my mittens in here. This bus never gets full, I guess no business people work near Hashimoto, so I don't have to deal with the morning commute yet. Hashimoto station will be quite busy, but I'm going about 15 minutes after the peak rush hour. This means I will miss the train that had everyone packed in like sardines. Rode that one once- it was awful.
Today I only have 3 classes (out of 6) so I'll have quite a bit of free time. Sometimes I lesson plan during that time but if I've finished that I'll study Japanese or read. I'm still reading The Silmarillion and its getting really good! Will the Noldor ever get the silmarils back? Will Morgoth ever be taken down?
---
The teachers room is a safe haven of warmth! I had two classes on the bottom floor and those hallways are so cold! Just one more class until I'm done and I get to sit in the teachers room for the rest of the day. And my class is on the top floor so maybe it won't be so cold...
---
The class actually was pretty warm. I just ate lunch- fish, broccoli and rice, leftovers from last night- then I tested one kid that was absent yesterday. Now I have two hours to do whatever I want- so practice Japanese a lot and maybe read a little.
---
Sometimes studying Japanese feels life forcing pudding through a cheese cloth. And the heat isn't on anymore so it's cold in the teachers room again. It's making me sleepy. I have my jacket on my lap but it just feels cold. One more hour to go.

---

I just got home! After school ended I made my way home. Kris let me know we needed eggs and katsu sauce so I stopped at the grocery store at Minamiosawa before I got on my last bus home. When I got home I changed into some tights and now I'm trying to warm up under the kotatsu- my knees are freezing! 

At Ito Yokado (the grocery store I went to) they always have a little temporary store in the central square of the building and right now they're selling "winter underwear". I saw some fleece-lined tights for like $7 and I almost bought them.... but I want to check out what I see at Uniqlo this weekend first. 

So I'm in the livingroom blogging and warming up and Kris is in the cold kitchen. He made some koroke (croquettes) today and I'm so excited about it! They're always really good. I think he's in there putting the last coat of panko on them before he fries them up for dinner. Good dinner tonight- and we always have good desert. Oh, and Eminem is on Spotify right now, part of Kris' "All Up" playlist.

---

Last night Kris cut together a small video of our first trip to Asakusa. We didn't have much to show and the small camera I was holding kept fogging up, so its a short video. I just made a cover photo for the video, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce8ntRdRHTg

You can see the video on our YouTube page (click here) and you can read about that weekend in my blog post about it (click here).

OOooooo and I smell croquettes frying...

Oh! and Kris got his DVD player on his computer to work so we're watching Scott Pilgrim tonight- one of only two movies we have here (physically). The other is Rocky Horror.

---

 Dinner was delicious and Kris packed my lunch for tomorrow with leftovers. After the movie Kris and I played a couple rounds of Heads Up, the app, and now it's time for bed. I gotta wake up at 6 tomorrow and its about 10:30 now. Not a bad day.

K+K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yessss! Tell me what you think!