Saturday, September 12, 2015

New Routine

So Kris and I have begun to form a little routine. We're starting to find a comfort zone.
Our typical weekday goes like this:

5:30-6:00AM: I wake up, Kris is still asleep. I get ready for work, pack my lunch & my backpack.

7:00AM: I walk out to the bus stop- takes about 2 minutes. Kris is still asleep.

7:05AM: The bus gets there, I hop on and pull out my tablet to read some Harry Potter- we're reading the series right now. My commute so far has been around 45 minutes to an hour. This week I've been getting to my last stop a little bit early so I go to a little bakery and read some more. It smells AMAZING in that frickin bakery. Kris woke himself up with a fart, then falls asleep immediately.

8:15AM: I get into school and head to the teacher's room. On the first day this means asking kids where to go and they look at me like an alien while they try to remember their English lessons. Kinda hilarious! Kris is snoring.

8:30AM-3:30PM: I'm at school. I have anywhere between 2 and 4 50-minute classes. In the classes I usually do a self intro that can last 5 minutes to 20. Then I either sit in the corner and help if the teacher asks me a question or I could teach the whole 50 minutes with a plan and/or worksheet I've done myself.
8:30/9:00PM: Kris rolls out of bed. Lately its been because someone is here to check on the under-the-sink-problem, as yet unresolved. An exterminator came by today to set out some cockroach traps though... ugh.

3:30PM: I head back home, maybe call Kris, who has been working on his computer all day. I definitely read more on the way home. I really try to get a seat on the bus, but sometimes its full from rush hour and I have to stand and that SUCKS.

4:15-4:30PM: I get home! Yay! Sometimes I take a nap cuz I'm exhausted. Then its time to do something! If I need to make a lesson plan or work on a worksheet I do it now then run down to the Family Mart to print it out. Most convenient stores have a printer/scanner/copier to use. I think you can also buy tickets for movies and shows on this copier. Sometimes we need stuff from the store down at the train station- grocery items, dollar store stuff, dinner maybe. So we walk the 15 minute uphill journey to Minami-Osawa station. Some of our favorite places:

7&i Holdings (7 Eleven) / Ito Yokado Building: This massive 5 story building is like a supermarket combined with a mall, including a Baskin & Robbins and a Mister Donuts. Theres also a pharmacy and a Daiso. We get things for the house here, dollar store stuff, sometimes we get dinner at the supermarket's deli counter- usually at night when the deli stuff is marked down 10-50%. Before we had internet this is where we went to use the 7 Eleven internet!
Meatrea/Seria Building: This is next door to the 7 Eleven building. Its 4 stories but a bit smaller. It has some clothing stores, a nail salon, a Seria- which is a slightly better dollar store and where we've gotten our kitchen wares, and Meatrea!!! Meatrea is the top floor which is a Mexican- themed food court that has no Mexican food.
Toho Cinema Building: Across a walkway from the previous two buildings, here is where the movie theater is. Theres also a couple restaurants- we've eaten at a ramen place (awesome!!) and a cafe here (also amazing!!!).
Mitsui Outlets: Here's where the train is- next to the Toho building and across from Ito Yokado. Theres also a McDonalds and a 7 Eleven! Crazy, right?
Minami-osawa Outlets: Directly behind the ItoYokado and Meatrea buildings are the outlets. The shop part of the outlets is full of some great stores. I havent had the chance to check them out yet but some of the store signs you can see from the outside include what Kris calls "Greg Land": Under Armor, Reebok, Nike, Quicksilver, Billabong, and thats next to "Leanne Land" which has some killer fashion and housewares. Theres a separate food court section with another market and some restaurants. We havent tried any of the restaurants here yet but the deli section at this market is AWESOME. Theres also a Hinkle knife store here and we want to get a good (affordable) knife here.

Also near this station is a large building that has the Pachinko parlor in it and a dentist office but I'm not sure what else. Then across the street theres another 3 story shopping center with shops and restaurants but we havent checked that out yet either.

8:30-9:00PM: Kris and I get home from whatever we've been doing. Usually exhausted by now. If we havent eaten by now we either make some ramen or grab something at the Family Mart a block away from home. When we go to Family Mart Kris always gets curry with a croquette. I get some kind of meat over rice. They heat it up for you while you pay- we still havent quite got down the Japanese but we know how to say yes to heating up the food and ask for a croquette! While we eat we watch movies or shows Kris has on his computer. Lately its Girl Meets World!!

10:00PM: After reading some more Potter I go to bed. I usually need ear plugs because the crickets here are LOUD. You know, I never hear birds chirping here but theres ALWAYS bugs chirping and making noise all day. When its not raining hard the cicadas are LOUD. You can hear the different kinds of cicada calls and my favorite one sounds like its mocking you: wa wa wa wa waaaAAAAA. Kris usually stays up on his computer.

3AM: I think Kris gets in bed now. I get grouchy when this wakes me up.

Then it all starts again.
Weekends are different though... So far weekends are a total toss up. I have no idea what we're doing this weekend- I guess it'll be an adventure!

K+K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yessss! Tell me what you think!